Hard work paying off

Jonathan: Since last week I’ve focused on fixing bugs and refactoring the code inside the TouchInteraction class. Overall, the two interaction modes should be more intertwined, movement should be less sporadic, with fewer misinterpretations upon touch input (especially with taps), as well as some sensitivity scaling dependent on the touch screen size. I’ve also reached out to gather feedback on the current interface during the coming week so that I can design the interface to be more intuitive. There’s still some bugs with the LM algorithm — specifically with the gradient calculations — that are to be squashed!

Rickard & Michael S: Last week we mainly worked on placement of the rover terrain models, to correctly and automatically align them to the HiRiSE height map. Another task we finished was to dynamically and asynchronously load and cache models with corresponding textures. We implemented this together with the already existing chunk tree implemented in the globe browsing module, to be able to use the culling. We also wrote a small script to download binaries and textures for the model generation process. The next task is to be able to render the correct rover terrain model depending on the position of the camera.

Michael N & Oskar: Last week we implemented a wrapper around some of the features of OpenJPEG. The new format, together with asynchronous texture uploading, gives us the ability to stream from disk in 512×512 to 1024×1024, depending on the desired frame rate. A higher resolution is still desirable, but the bottleneck right now is the decoding speed of large images using this library. As for the field lines, after a meeting with CCMC staff responsible for the Sun-Earth event, compute shaders were put on hold to prioritize precomputed lines. Some refactoring and cleanup has also been done in the field line module.