Field Lines and Rover Views

Gene: I got the ‘luasocket’ library working for automatically downloading latest TLE files for satellite telemetry. Testing of this feature on all 3 platforms is needed. I created a short demo video of the satellites scene that I’ll share in order to solicit feedback.

Oskar & Michael N.: We’ve started implementing time varying field lines which include a visualization of the direction of each field line. Currently it’s all being pre-processed and we are waiting for a larger dataset to be able to improve it. We’ve also started implementing a class for projecting photographs taken from spacecraft onto an image plane within their field of view. The image plane is movable within the frustum of the camera that took the image.

Matt: I’m hunting down some build bugs that are preventing me from getting the latest develop branch updates. I’m concerned they might be a larger Heisenbug issue than just my machine configurations.

Rickard & Michael S.: We’ve mainly worked on two different functionalities regarding the rover terrain. One is being able to view rover derived panoramas (much like google street view) by projecting the image on top of a sphere and placing the camera in the center of the sphere. The other part is visualizing the path of the rover on top of HiRISE height maps. There are still some work on both parts to make it look super good but the base functionality is there.

Jonathan: Since last week I’ve looked through and tested different ideas on how to store the input more efficiently. The pinch-to-zoom feature now works pretty well after resolving a bug that was introduced by not checking if we got any new input from the last frame. Coming week I will focus on an interaction class for the touch input and to do rotations with spherical coordinates rather than angles. There’s also an error in the module’s CMake files that I will look at to resolve failed builds on Linux and macOS.

Eric: I started a script to be run on the Jenkins server after a build to pack up binaries and some data (either a minimal subset or a larger collection) for distribution to users. I just used a shell script to create a tarball and/or zip file, but Alex has pointed me to CPack, a cousin of CMake, which could make it much easier to do this on all platforms, so I’ll be investigating that next.

Kalle: I solved a couple of issues related to tile rendering for globes. A bug previously caused some textures which did not have the number of bytes per row divisible by four to get corrupted once uploaded to the GPU. I also started working on a memory aware tile cache to prevent memory overflow when allocating too many textures for tiles.