2016-06-13

Alex: This week was dominated by the EuroVis conference, which went exceptionally well. The keynote was a full success and is available online (https://vimeo.com/groups/383543/videos/169967499). In the code, I implemented a more fine-grained method to record performance data for individual methods in preparation for the upcoming sprint to focus on improving the performance of our various components.

Kalle & Erik: The implementation of TileProvider is chosen dynamically after reading the XML dataset config file. We had a meeting with Jonathas regarding the issues of merging our work with his work on the rendering of atmospheres. We have also worked a lot with refactoring of some of the code relating to the different categories of layers a globe can have. These categories are currently color (base layer), night texture, height map, water mask and overlay. Other improvements include a preprocessing step for some tile datasets, where things as min and max values are kept track of, which for the height dataset are used by the frustum- and horizon culling. We have also implemented a tile splitting scheme that considers the projected screen area of a tile instead of only its distance to the camera to determine if it should split or merge.

Michael & Sebastian: Recently we reveived more ionosphere data files to test our visualization with, and we noticed that things were not moving as expected. The problem was with a dependency of Kameleon, which has not been updated for a longer time period. Last week we also spent a few days participating in the SW REDI Boot Camp at CCMC to learn about space weather, which will be useful when writing our thesis.