2016-05-23

Alex: In this week, I was focussing on preparing more features for the presentation at IPS in the end of June. However, I was only able to dedicate two days to this, so progress has been limited to only a few areas. For instance, the trails rendered behind the Rosetta spacecraft no longer produces artifacts when using high delta-time.

Emil: This week, I have continued to work on rendering of the Milky Way using volumetric and point based data provided by AMNH, and got the first visual results. I plan to continue improving the quality of the rendering in collaboration with Jon Parker who works for the museum, and previously worked on galaxy rendering for the dome movie production Dark Universe.

Michael & Sebastian: The past two weeks we finished visualizing Ionossphere data around Earth, and started a new feature in the iSWA module. So far we have been working with 2D data from iSWA because that is the only this that is reasonable to stream at runtime. Now we are working on rendering cutplanes from 3D data files, this will be visualized together with fieldlines. The plan is for this feature to be used at NASA/LWS Heliophysics Summer School.

Erik & Kalle: Rendering of multiple texture layers is done by providing an ordered list of texture data sets in the globe’s mod file. Prioritizing of tile requests makes it possible to browse different parts of the globe without needing to wait for unused tiles to load. We also fixed a bug that caused the chunk tree to repeatedly merge and split some nodes. Some time has also been spent on improving the camera class together with some parts of its interface.