2016-04-19 – Enter Witty Text Here

Alex: In this week, a lot of different things happened. For once, I presented OpenSpace at a CCMC-organized workshop in Annapolis to the greater Space Weather community and some folks from NASA HQ. It included a demo of the New Horizons flyby and a second demo of the interactive volume rendering. On the code side of things, it was a week for fixing individual tickets. The Launcher is now fixed and it works again to download images from the web, a bit of cleanup in the module folder lead to grouping and removing modules that were not needed anymore, global Lua variables are now available for scene description files, and the LogManager will now log messages to the Visual Studio output window, if the application is attached to a debugger.

Emil: This week, I’ve been spending some time looking into how one should go about removing the power scale coordinates from the whole of OpenSpace. I learned that there are quite a few classes depending on this internal representation of vectors. A reasonable way to refactor this would be to create a separate branch, and temporarily disabling some of the more complex features such as planet proejctions, and rebuilding the affected parts of the rendering pipeline from ground up. Once the basic rendering is up and running again, the individual features can be modified to work again.

Niclas: Error-handeling for scalegraph related information from modfiles. Preliminary planning/work on new view/projection-matrices for the camera that should replace the old ones when rendering objects in other scenes.

Erik + Kalle: We started working with integrating textures using a general interface to fetch tiles. This now works for both chunked lod and geometry clipmap rendering. The splitting and merging mechanism of chunked lod nodes is done not only based on distance to camera, but also with view frustum culling which speeds up the rendering significantly as opposed to do the frustrum culling in the rendering step.

Sebastian + Michael: We just got back from an interesting week in Annapolis at the CCMC workshop. Now we have started to look at the new data we revived. So far we are able to get the metadata and images from our own server. Then we can read the metadata correctly and place the image in the right location and with the right orientation. Now we are working on visualizing the data files that contains the same sampled values as the images.